The 2014 Ford F-150 engine oil light reset is a crucial step in maintaining the health and performance of your vehicle. The engine oil light is an indicator that shows when it’s time to change your car’s oil. Ignoring this warning can cause severe damage to your engine, which could result in costly repairs.
However, many car owners may not know how to reset the oil light after changing the engine oil. In this article, we will discuss the step-by-step process of how to do the 2014 Ford F-150 engine oil light reset. Let’s dive in!
- Why Does Engine Oil Light Come Up in 2014 Ford F-150?
- How To Reset Engine Oil Light in the 2014 Ford F-150?
- How To Reset the Engine Oil Light of Other Ford F-150 Models?
- How To Avoid Oil Change Light in Ford F-150?
- Final Thoughts: How To Do the 2014 Ford F-150 Engine Oil Light Reset?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does Engine Oil Light Come Up in 2014 Ford F-150?
The Engine Oil Light is a warning light that indicates low oil pressure or low oil level in the engine. In a 2014 Ford F-150, this light may come on due to several reasons, including:
1. Low Oil Level
If the oil level in the engine is too low, the oil pressure can drop, triggering the engine change oil Light.
2. Faulty Oil Pressure Sensor
The oil pressure sensor may malfunction, indicating an incorrect reading of the oil pressure, leading to the engine oil light coming up.
3. Clogged Oil Filter
A clogged oil filter can reduce oil flow and pressure in the engine, causing the engine oil light to illuminate.
4. Worn-Out Engine Components
Worn-out bearings, pistons, and other engine parts can cause low oil pressure, which can trigger the engine oil light.
It is essential to address the issue immediately when the engine oil light comes on to avoid damage to the engine. It is recommended to check the oil level and pressure regularly and have the vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic if the light appears frequently.
How To Reset Engine Oil Light in the 2014 Ford F-150?
The engine oil light in a 2014 Ford F-150 can be reset using the driver information center (DIC) method or using steering wheel buttons.
- Turn on the ignition, but do not start the engine.
- Use the arrow buttons on the steering wheel to navigate to Settings in the DIC.
- Select the Oil Life Reset from the menu and press OK.
- The DIC will display a message asking if you want to reset the oil life. Confirm by pressing the OK.
- The message “Oil Life Reset Successful” will be displayed.
Using Steering Wheel Buttons
To reset the engine oil light on a 2014 Ford F-150 using the steering wheel buttons, follow these steps:
- Turn the ignition to the “ON” position (do not start the engine).
- Press and hold the “RESET” button on the steering wheel controls for about 2 seconds or until the “SETUP MENU” containing the setup button appears on the instrument cluster display.
- Use the arrow buttons on the steering wheel controls to scroll down to “VEHICLE”.
- Press the “OK” button on the steering wheel controls to select “VEHICLE”.
- Use the arrow buttons to scroll down to “RESET OIL LIFE “.
- Press and hold the “OK” button on the steering wheel controls until the message “OIL LIFE INDICATOR TO 100%” appears on the instrument cluster display.
- Release the button and check that the “ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE NEXT SERVICE” message has been reset.
How To Reset the Engine Oil Light of Other Ford F-150 Models?
If you own a newer Ford F-150, you can reset the engine oil light by following these steps:
For 2015-2018 — Ford F-150
Here are the steps you can follow to reset the engine oil light for the 2015-2018 Ford F-150 models.
- Turn on the ignition of your Ford F-150, but do not start the engine.
- Press the gas pedal three times within 10 seconds.
- The oil change light should start flashing, indicating that the system is resetting.
- Hold down the gas pedal for another 10 seconds or until the oil change light stops flashing.
- Turn off the ignition and restart your Ford F-150 to confirm that the oil change light has been reset.
For 2019-2023 Ford F-150
Here is a general guide on how to reset the engine oil light of 2019-2023 Ford F-150 models:
- Turn on the ignition without starting the engine.
- Press the accelerator pedal to the floor and release it three times within 10 seconds.
- Wait for the oil light to blink and then turn it off.
If this process does not work for your specific Ford F-150 model or if you are unsure about resetting the engine oil light yourself, it’s always best to consult your vehicle’s owner manual or take it to a trusted mechanic.
How To Avoid Oil Change Light in Ford F-150?
Here’s what you can do to avoid engine oil light in Ford F-150.
1. Regularly Check Your Oil Levels
The oil level of your Ford F-150 should be checked every 3,000 miles. If the oil level is too low or too high, it is crucial to change engine oil or it can cause the oil change light to come on.
2. Use High-Quality Oil
Using high-quality oil will help your engine run smoother and prevent the oil change light from coming on prematurely.
3. Follow Your Vehicle’s Maintenance Schedule
Your Ford F-150 comes with a maintenance schedule that outlines when you should get an oil change. Following this schedule will help prevent premature oil change light warnings.
4. Drive Carefully
Aggressive driving can cause excessive wear and tear on your engine, which can lead to premature oil changes. Drive carefully and avoid hard acceleration and sudden stops.
5. Replace Your Oil Filter
In addition to changing your oil, make sure your oil filter is replaced regularly. A dirty or clogged oil filter can cause the oil change light to come on.
Final Thoughts: How To Do the 2014 Ford F-150 Engine Oil Light Reset?
Knowing how to reset the oil light in your F-150 can save you time and money. By following the easy steps mentioned above, you can reset the oil light without any hassle. Doing this regularly will ensure that your Ford F-150 stays healthy and runs smoothly.
Explore our blog about engine oils for more similar information.