This post contains affiliate links — which means, at no additional cost to you, we’ll earn a commission if you click through and buy a product. For more information, check out our disclaimer.
The 2009 Audi A3 is an amazing car. If I get a decent offer for a used A3, I would still consider it a steal as it’s a damn reliable car.
Still, this reliability depends on how you maintain it — especially on how and when you change its engine oil and which engine oil you choose.
The last part is where many Audi A3 owners struggle.
But, don’t worry. We’ve done the research.
In this guide, you’ll learn about the engine oil your Audi A3 needs, the engine products you can use, and how to change the engine oil.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
Engine Oil Recommendation for 2009 Audi A3
When selecting engine oil for your 2009 Audi A3, you’ve to consider two requirements:
- Oil quality standard: VW 502 00
- Viscosity grade: SAE 5W-40
While you can go for SAE 5W-30 or SAE 0W-40 if SAE 5W-40 isn’t available, you need to fulfill the quality standard of VW 502 00.
As it is, you’ll mostly only find fully synthetic oils meeting that standard.
Now that we know what kind of engine oil we need, let’s discuss how much…
Engine Oil Capacity of 2009 Audi A3
2009 Audi A3 has an engine oil capacity of 4.9 quarts or 4.6 liters.
That means you need to buy 5 quarts of engine oil every 5000 miles — or earlier if you drive in a dusty area.
Best Engine Oils for 2009 Audi A3
We’ve done the research. Here are the best-rated engine oils you can use in your 2009 Audi A3:
1. Castrol Edge 5W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Castrol Edge 5W-40 A3/B4 is synthetic motor oil made with titanium technology.
It maximizes the performance of your vehicle. It protects against sludge and varnish build-up and reduces wear and tear on the engine. Additionally, it maintains the smooth running of your vehicle’s engine, which can improve gas mileage.
- Exceeds AECA standards
- Handles high pressures
- Mains film at high temperatures
2. Mobil 1 FS European Car Formula Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40
Mobil 1 FS Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40 is specially formulated for European cars to provide excellent protection against engine wear and oil breakdown.
This highly-viscous engine oil doesn’t break down under high temperatures and helps ensure the smooth running of your engine. The special additives in the oil reduce wear and tear on your engine and increase the life of your vehicle’s engine.
- Superior oxidation control
- Great friction reduction
- Low sludge buildup
- Incredible heat protection
3. Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil
Liqui Moly 2332 Engine Oil increases your engine’s service life. It offers efficient lubrication and excellent fuel economy and keeps optimal oil pressure, even under high-stress conditions.
This Liqui Moly engine oil protects your engine against wear and tear while reducing emissions.
- Advanced technology
- Reduced friction
- Low fuel consumption
- High shear
4. Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil 1 QT
Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Motor Oil is perfect for your Audi A3. It resists wear and tear, sludge formation, and oil breakdown.
It works perfectly at various temperatures and provides superior protection for your vehicle’s engine. Not to mention, this engine oil helps keep emissions low and fuel economy high.
- Outstanding thermal stability
- Resistance to oxidation
- Complete varnish protection
- Advanced additive formulation
5. Pennzoil Platinum Euro-L Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil
You can use Pennzoil Platinum Euro-L Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil to avoid sludge formation and enhance fuel economy.
This engine oil has a superior balance of additives that’ll offer maximum performance and provide premium protection to your car. Put simply, it increases your engine’s life, reduces wear and tear, and decreases emissions.
- All-season oil
- Reduced deposits
- Lowered friction due to friction modifiers
- Improved fuel economy
2009 Audi A3: How To Change Engine Oil?
Let’s discuss how to change the engine oil for the 2009 Audi A3.
- Drain pan
- Jack and jack stands
- Socket wrench
- Oil filter wrench
- Engine oil
- Oil filter
- Raise the car using the jack and secure it with the jack stands.
- Place a drain pan under the drain plug.
- Use the socket wrench to loosen the drain plug.
- Remove the drain plug and let the oil engine drain.
- Wait for 5-7 minutes.
- Replace the old oil filter with a new one using the oil filter wrench.
- Close the drain plug tightly.
- Remove the oil filler cap on the top of the engine.
- Pour fresh engine oil.
- Check the engine oil level using an engine oil dipstick — and add more oil if required.
- Tighten the oil filler cap.
Final Thoughts: 2009 Audi A3 Engine Oil
Select an engine oil from the list above and add it to your Audi A3 when it needs an oil change.
For more information on engine oils, explore our blog today.